Ladakh paradise on earth, and the only state which has captivated visitors with its beauty and magical. The trek will give you the perfect opportunity to explore the picturesque mountain peaks, azure lakes or the challenging trekking trails; this scenic valley is known for all. In winters it is embraced with heavy snowfalls that cut off the entire region from the rest of the world but the beauty of the place comes in winter.
Nestled deep within the whirly passages of the snow-clad mountains, this frozen river also entices thousand of trekkers from different corners of the world the trek is popularly known as the 'Chadar Trek' . Did you know why it is known as the Chadar trek, due to the formation of thick snow blanket it is known as the Chadar or frozen trek. Chadar trek is considered to be the most challenging as well as tricky treks in the world.
Day 1 Fly to Leh
Altitude 11,400 ft.
Morning board your flight to Leh an amazing experience of flying over miles and miles of heavily snowed mountains. The moment you land at the Leh airport, one of the highest airports in the world, you be welcome by nirvana trip representative. Surly you will feel like breathing in a fresh and crisp air. The town has just begun shedding off the thick winter slumber and is slowly coming to life.Upon arrival check-in to pre-booked hotel and relax for a while or spend day at leisure. Take a stroll through the Leh market, but make sure to cover yourself as the chill in the air The night is spent in a hotel and rest house.
Day 2 Drive to Tilad Do
11,400 to 10,390 ft.
Drive 65 kms.
Morning wake up early give unique taste to your taste bud then witnessing the sunrise from the Shanti Stupa , from here one can have mesmerizing view of Leh.
Today’s agenda includes a very picturesque and thrilling long-drive to Chilling. Start your roller-coaster ride to Indus to the village of Nimu, where the Zanskar converges into Indus. The road goes past Chilling to Tilad Do. Among these mammoth mountains, the feeling of insignificance of one’s being does not escape anyone.
To reach the camp-site, we have to cross the frozen Zanskar river and this is first steps on the Chadar. It takes a while to get a hang of walking on the ice sheet. As the evening comes, pitch your camp or tents on the bank of the Zanskar, and hands out thick warm sleeping bags. To get some exercise and keep warm, you can climb up the nearby mountains and get a good look at the frozen river. As the sun sets, it drags the temperature down with it, and the sleeping bags in the tents look quite inviting.
Day 3 Tilad Do to Shingra Koma.
10,390 to 10,550 ft.
Trek 10 kms.
Third day of your trek is the biggest challenge of this day morning take steaming cups of tea also you can perform kind of exercise and yoga to keep warm all day long.
After breakfast start your long walking session, about 10 km, on the Chadar. The trek leaders from Nirvana trip will give you a briefing about the day, and tips on how to walk on the Chadar. Chadar can assume various forms it totally depend upon weather it can be a cold and hard surface of slippery ice, or it can have a dusting of snow over it, providing a good grip. The locals, it appears to have a sixth sense or their experience told them where exactly to step on the Chadar. At places, it might be necessary to wade through ankle deep water, or climb on the cliffs at the side of the river.. It is important to keep up a decent level of fluid intake or you can kept chocolate with you as you requires lot of energy. Nothing makes you adapt to the conditions faster than nicely circulating blood in your system.
After crossing Shingra koma, We will reach the camp-site at Gyalpo where we will Pitch our camp relax yourself. Overnight stay at camp
Day 4 Shingra Koma to Tibb Cave.
10,550 to 10,760 ft.
Trek 15 kms..
Fourth day of the trek follows the early morning routine: bed tea at 6,Yoga and find of exercise at 7, breakfast at 8, and quick-march at 8:30. Have a good breakfast, as today is the longest walk of the day – almost 15 km. But that is nothing to worry about, as the walking keeps you incredibly warm.
Today we will walk through the deep ravines of the Zanskar which is stunning. During the trek you can find a numerous caves in these mountains, big and small. Today is the day when you can explore the magnificent frozen waterfalls, some higher than the others. Centuries ago the local villagers have to face a dearth of water and for a bucket of water they went to Tibet. The rocks below this waterfall are covered with moss, and this is the only greenery you’ll see on this trek.
At Tibb, there is a big cave.The highlight of the day is to share a cup of butter-tea with them!
Overnight stay at camp
Day 5 Tibb cave to Naerak camp.
10,760 to 11,150 ft.
Trek 12.5 kms.
Fifth day is the most spectacular day on this trek as we are going to Walk on the river to cross deep gorges and reach a point where you will find a Juniper trees covered with prayer flags just a few step head you will find a mother-of-all frozen waterfalls – a huge instance of suspended animation several feet tall and equally wide. Form here you can explore the dozens of colours in this enormous ice structure as sunlight plays off its surface. Right next to the waterfall is a bridge across the river which is a part of the summer-time road from Zanskar to Leh.
The Naerak village beautiful village lies several feet above the river, a vigorous hour-long trek will take you to the beautiful village. The camp is set up close to the river. Overnight stay at camp
Day 6 Naerak to Tibb Cave
11,150 to 10,760 ft.
Trek 12.5 kms.
Morning enjoy your bed tea today we will start our back journey and go back to the Tibb cave step back to chilling. The Zanskar River reacts to the slightest change of temperature, and constantly keeps repackaging itself. It is also possible that when we return back Chadar would be completely in a new form, and will almost be impossible to say whether we have been here before or not
On the way, you can meet as well as interact with locals residents wearing traditional woolen Gonchas – some of them monks who are hiking from the Lingshed Monastery to Leh. They are suitably adept to the climate and seem very much at home in the sub-zero temperature and the biting cold winds. Nothing wipes the smiles off their faces and dampens the warmth of their spirit.
Day 7 Tibb Cave to Shingra Koma
10,760 to 10,550 ft.
Trek 15 kms.
After breakfast starting from Tibb, go up to Gyalpo. From far you will feel that the high walls of mountains like castle walls. Also you can find a several trails of pug-marks all along the trek – footprints belonging to foxes, ibex or snow-leopards. If you are lucky enough then you can also view a snow-leopard which is very rare. Overnight stay at camp.
Day 8 Shingra Koma to Tilad Do and drive to Leh
10,550 to 10,390 and drive to 11400 ft
Trek 10 kms.
Drive 65 kms.
As this is the last day of trail on the Chadar–the last chance to immerse the beauty of the frozen river. Start your day early as sooner as better after breakfast start your trek once you reach Tilad Do, it is time to say good-bye to the Zanskar. Nirvana trip team and our porters will take good care of you and make this trek one of the most memorable experiences for you. Tonight you get to sleep in a warm guest-house again.
Day 9 Return from Leh
As this unforgettable trail comes to end, depart from Leh having a good memory and tremendous feeling of accomplishment of frozen lake.
- Camping Accommodation
- Trekking team with necessary equipments
- First aid kit
- All taxes included
- Expenses of personal nature
- Any kind of extra meal during the trek etc.
- Any kind of Air and train fare
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, road blocks, bad weather, Political Strike etc
things to do
If you are planning to for trekking at that time you need a check-list which you can follow at the time of bag pack
- Complete Research: The first step is the most important one as 100 things can go wrong during your trip and you have to be ready to handle each and every situation. So much make a complete research like want kind of where is there, if you have carry cutlery or not, type of stay many other thing.
- Test your fitness: In a journey there are many points where you feel sick so much be always be prepared for every situation during trekking you always have to prepared for freezing cold, acute mountain sickness. There are some place where there is shortage of oxygen at such a great heights will test your limit, time to prove how fit you are. You need lot of energy required at the time of trekking if you feeling now you can’t handle all the things need not to think like this be mentally prepared also I would recommend you to do some stamina building activities.
- Number of days: Take some extra days as you can’t believe on weather as any time you can face landslides, heavy rainfall uncertain climate change and you have to stay there only without any option. So take some extra days also don’t forget to have day offat some place to celebrate your success , Cheer up as its dream which comes true.
- Documents you must carry: Before going there you need to carry following documents like one photo ID- card.
- Cloths and accessories: As the weather can change any time you need to carry warm cloths and the following things
- Saddle bags/ Magnetic tank bag/ Luggage carrier
- Comfortable clothes: tracks, raincoats, tee-shirts also carry one extra cloth
- Wind-cheaters, Jackets and pullovers
- Flashlight with extra batterie
- Shoes with good grip, extra pair of socks,
- Sunglasses, caps or hats, sunscreen lotion and insect repellents
- Personal toiletries
- Water bottles etc
- First aid
Don’t for trek
- Don’t take valuable articles with you
- Don’t leave your garbage at camp site, take back all that you carry
- Don’t play music on your mobile, this disturbs Jungle silence
- Don’t take any shortcuts since that may cause you & others lot of trouble
- Don’t take alcoholic drinks, this can be cause of serious accident
- Don’t smoke, this too can cause Jungle fires as well as animals will run away due to strong smell
- Don’t wear flashy cloths, put ones which matches natural colors
Do’s for trek
- Study the location map and collect information from senior members or internet about the place
- Be a good team member, listen to what trek leader says
- Maintain discipline
- Observe for pugmarks
- Bagpack and Daypack with comfortable straps and rain covers.
- Water bottles and high energy packaged food.
- Flashlight and headtorch.
- High ankle trekking shoes.
- Ropes and sticks.
- Wind and Water proof jackets and pants.
- Woolen sweaters.
- Thermal inners.
- Cotton tshirts.
- Trek pants.
- Woolen caps and mufflers.
- Woolen and cotton socks.
- Waterproof and woolen gloves.
Personal Utilities :
- Soap and washes
- Sunscreen cream and Moisturizer
- Antibacterial powder
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Toilet Paper & wipes
- Quick dry towel
Medical kit :
- Medicines like Paracetamol, Aspirin, Ciplox, Nimesulide, Citrizine, Benocide etc. (consult a doctor)
- Ointment like Moov or Volini.
- Anti-rash creams like Betnovet
8N / 9D
- Money Safe
Our amazing as well as charming team helps you choose the best destination packages for you., that makes you feel indulged, comfortable and insipiring thorugh out your travel .
We at Nirvana make sure that you do not have to compromise between adventure or good stay. We provide an amazing and comfortable stay that makes you feel at home along with the adventure you are seeking for.
For you do not have to think before traveling and exploring new places, we at Nirvana provide cheapest and pocket friendly packages cause we believe that the journey of the thousand miles begin with a single step.